Joined: 04 Dec 2009
Location: East Kilbride
|Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:45 pm Post subject: Battlefield West (now Langside) Parish Church WW1 Memorial
|Langside Parish Church, 167 Ledard Road, Glasgow G42 9QU
OS Grid Ref: NS 581613
The building erected in 1908 survived until the 1980’s. However by 1988 it was in serious need of structural repair, particularly to the roof. Architect’s reports were obtained and it became clear that the full cost of repair would be similar to that of constructing a new building.
In 1990 when the river Cart burst its banks yet again, the building sustained serious damage to the foundations, convincing all involved of the merit of providing a new church building, one better equipped to meet future needs and less costly to maintain. In December of that year the decision was taken to proceed. Following long and often difficult negotiations, planning permission was granted and the old building was demolished in early 1995.
By this time the congregation was meeting in the Cargill Senior Citizens’ Club across the road. Flemings Builders started work in April of the same year and completed the job on schedule. The keys were handed over to the Rev. Liz McIntyre and the congregation by the end of the year on 15th December.
On the afternoon of Friday 8th May 2009, a fire was discovered in a storage cupboard in the sanctuary at Langside Church. Within minutes of raising the alarm and safely evacuating the few people in the building, the fire brigade arrived to tackle the fast spreading blaze. Unfortunately the sanctuary was gutted and much art and equipment was destroyed.