Joined: 14 Dec 2006
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
|Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:18 pm Post subject: Army Dental Corps 1939-1945
|This memorial was originally located in Aldershot, but has since been moved to the National Memorial Arboretum.
From the NMA website:
|The Royal Army Dental Corps (RADC) has relocated its memorial stone to the National Memorial Arboretum in Staffordshire, where it was be rededicated today.
The memorial was transferred to the Arboretum from Aldershot - previously home to the Army Dental Corps School of Instruction. An additional inscription has been added to its base plinth which reads: 'Dedicated to those who have served or are serving in the ADC and RADC.'
The rededication service was attended by RADC Colonel in Chief, HRH the Duchess of Gloucester. The roll of honour for the Corps' 82 fallen comrades was read out during the service and later, the Duchess was introduced to various RADC personnel, including 99 year old ex-Corps member, John Church MBE.
The Army Dental Corps (ADC) was formed in 1921 and, at its peak wartime strength, had 3,653 members, all of whom had passed through the Army Dental Corps School of Instruction in Aldershot. During World War Two, the availability of dental treatment contributed significantly to the health, efficiency and morale of the Army in action and in 1946, the value of the Corps was acknowledged when King George VI approved the change of title to the Royal Army Dental Corps.
John Church MBE joined the Army Dental Corps in 1932 and he served for 25 years. He received his MBE in the 1945 New Year's Honours list, when he was Chief Clerk for Dental Branch Central Command. He was promoted to Warrant Officer Class One in 1951, six years before his retirement from the Army.
In recent years RADC dental teams have seen action in the Falklands, the Gulf Wars and in Afghanistan. They have been deployed extensively to help local communities, providing much needed medical relief to those ravaged by war or natural disasters.
Major John Sharp (Rtd), Regimental Secretary of the RADC, spoke of the significance of the rededication service: "This event celebrates the move and rededication of our Corps' Memorial to the UK's year-round site of Remembrance. We expect that in its new location, the memorial will become a focal point for veterans, families and friends.
"We will maintain a Corps presence in Aldershot, within The Royal Garrison Church of All Saints, where the Corps Standard and Book of Remembrance are to remain."