Joined: 20 Dec 2006
|Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:05 pm Post subject: Stewarts of Appin, Culloden memorial
|Stewarts of Appin, Culloden memorial - Appin
The memorial takes the form of a grey granite tablet set into the external wall of the kirk, framed by an arch. The memorial stone from the Clan Stewart grave on Culloden Moor rests at the foot of the memorial.
The inscription reads:
THIS OLD STONE
REMOVED TO APPIN. 1906,
ORIGINALLY STOOD AT THE HEAD OF
THE GRAVE ON CULLODEN MOOR
WHERE LIE 92 OFFICERS AND MEN
OF THE STEWARTS OF APPIN WHO FELL
IN THE MEMORABLE CHARGE OF THE RIGHT WING
OF THE PRINCE'S ARMY APRIL 16TH 1746
The old church stands on the western edge of the village and is visible up on the north side of the main road. It is reached by a small farm track and there is parking space for a couple of cars in front of the gate into the churchyard.