The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project Forum Index The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project
(Registered Scottish Charity No. SC043826). Please visit our homepage at
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hillhead High School

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project Forum Index -> Glasgow and Dunbartonshire - School Memorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message

Joined: 04 Dec 2009
Posts: 1765
Location: East Kilbride

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Hillhead High School Reply with quote

Hillhead High School, 22-44 Oakfield Avenue, Glasgow G12 8LJ

OS Grid Ref: NS 571669

The following is an extract from Hillhead High School 1885 – 1961.

Erected for Govan Parish School Board, Hillhead Public School was opened on Monday, 13th April 1885 in Sardinia Terrace (now Cecil Street).
On the 18th December, 1918, the headmaster called a meeting in the School to consider the question of a School War Memorial. A three-fold aim was suggested, and in time approved:
1) To place in the School a simple permanent memorial.
2) To issue a memorial volume
3) To purchase a recreation ground for School and Club.
The Memorial tablet, erected in the entrance hall in Cecil Street, and later duplicated at Hughenden, was designed by Mr. James A. Boyle, then Art Master in the School. The tablet consists of a plain marble slab as a mount for three polished lacquered brasses, on which the names of the 179 men who fell are deeply engraved. It was unveiled by General Sir Philip Robertson K.C.B., C.M.G., and dedicated by the Rev. Dr. John Smith, on 26th November, 1920.Captain S.R. Skilling, also of the School Staff was tasked with the preparation of the Memorial Volume. He had kept the records of service for the wartime magazines. The third aim of the Memorial Committee was to find a suitable ground and to raise the money to buy it. This was achieved with some effort and Hughenden was officially opened on Saturday, 24th May 1924, by Sir Charles Cleland, and dedicated by Dr. Smith.
The new school, at Oakfield Avenue, was opened on 1st September 1931.

The memorial remained in Cecil Street, which was now Hillhead Primary School, until this year. On the building of a new Hillhead Primary School the memorial has now been moved to the High School.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 04 Dec 2009
Posts: 1765
Location: East Kilbride

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Hillhead High School Reply with quote

The following is an extract from Hillhead High School 1885 – 1961.

With 1945 came the need for a second chronicle of service and of loss. Wartime secrecy and upheaval had made it impossible to keep such accurate records as in 1914-18, despite immense effort on the part of the compilers. The War memorial Committee of Staff, Trust, and PTA with Mr James A. Cessford as Convener worked hard for three years before the lists were completed for publication. It was decided to place in the School a War Memorial Tablet and a War Memorial Volume, and to issue a brochure that should contain some detail.
The War Memorial Tablet was dedicated on 16th November, 1948, by the Right Rev. Dr. Alexander Macdonald, Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland.
The Memorial, designed, carved, and inscribed by Mr J. S. Keith of the Art Department, is a simple mahogany panel, six feet by two, mounted on the wall facing the main door of Oakfield Avenue. Under the name of the School and the words “IN MEMORIUM “arranged in seven columns and lettered in gold, are the names of those from the School who gave their lives for their country in the war of 1939 – 45. Below the names is the School Motto,
“JE MAINTIENDRAI”, and on either side carved panels of oak branches with leaves and acorns. The leaves signify strength and valour, the acorns immortality.

In the reception area outside the main office there are two identical seats commemorating WW1. Unfortunately there is no record of the benefactor.

Many thanks to Doreen Dalrymple for allowing me access to the school.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 13 Dec 2016
Posts: 1896

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: WMR (ex UKNIWM) number Reply with quote

WMR 76776
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 04 Dec 2009
Posts: 1765
Location: East Kilbride

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Motion uses headstone tributes to write new war poem
Former poet laureate drew inspiration from personal inscriptions to write Armistice

Some chose from the scriptures. Others, from literature and poetry. For families of the first world war’s fallen, finding the words for the inscriptions to adorn the headstones of their loved ones was the final tribute.
As the guns fell silent on 11 November 1918, the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC) faced the global challenge of ensuring proper burial for 1 million Commonwealth men and women killed. Next-of-kin were invited to add a personal inscription, each limited to just 66 stone-engraved characters.
Now, inspired by the power of those words chosen, former poet laureate Sir Andrew Motion has published Armistice, a work commissioned by the CWGC to mark National Poetry Day and the upcoming centenary of the end of the war in 1918.

Motion drew on some of the most moving personal inscriptions found on nearly a quarter of a million of the Commission headstones around the world.
One in particular inspired the poem’s ending – that of Pte Roy Douglas Harvey – whose headstone in Bouchoir New British Cemetery in France bears the words: “My task accomplished and the long day done”.
Harvey, from Glasgow, left Hillhead High school in 1915. He survived the fierce fighting at the Battle of Cambrai with the 5th/6th Royal Scots and was part of the long-awaited British advance that began at the Battle of Amiens on 8 August 1918. He was killed three days later, and found with a copy of his diary, current up to the previous day.

For many, the task of finding the words themselves was too much. Words from Shakespeare, Lord Tennyson and Laurence Binyon feature prominently. Popular examples included: “Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn” by Laurence Binyon; “To live in the hearts we leave behind is not to die” by Thomas Campbell; and “After life’s fitful fever he sleeps well” by William Shakespeare.
Motion said of the poem: “When I began writing it, all kinds of other ideas began to emerge, mostly arising from the feelings I share with everyone else about the gigantic scale of suffering endured during the first world war.”
Victoria Wallace, the director general of the CWGC, said Motion’s words “bring a new perspective on the deeply personal inscriptions families chose.
“It seems almost impossible to articulate such loss and love in 66 characters – less than a tweet – to commemorate someone in perpetuity.
“Sir Andrew’s poem shows us how these words written in stone a century ago can come back to life and inspire new creativity to this day, helping to preserve the stories of those who gave their lives during the first world war,” she said.

Armistice by Andrew Motion

Now one thousand five hundred and sixty-four days end
every hour hand of every watch on the face of the earth
snaps to attention a fraction shy of the number eleven.
Their minute hands are still quivering with the effort
to complete the circle and therefore give the signal.
Whenever has machinery fine-tuned or otherwise
been able to refute with such a passionate precision
the idea that the body of time might flow like a river
and reveal it instead as a wide continuous landscape
a block universe where the sudden spotlight moon
introducing her face between cloud-curtains alights
now on one man dead already and now on one dying
while the scattered hinterland suffers its consequences
or delivers its warnings all connected but unavailable.

Then the minute hand in a spasm seals its promise
while penny whistles shriek and church bells clamour
while whizzbangs and 59s complete their trajectories
while long-faced telegram boys prop their bicycles
on lampposts and front gates and for the last time
press forward to deliver their dreadful condolences
and lark music like a distillation of daylight itself
which a moment before was neither here nor there
sweetens as it escapes the pulsing throat of the bird
and rain also accustomed to no discernable voice
patters and pounds and performs on barren ground
and a very simple breath of wind entirely fills the air
and everyday clouds performing manifold contortions
saunter off and dissolve in the horizon of their origin.
Soon rolling out plans from their corridors and offices
highly efficient angels of the resurrection will descend
to align with names they went by in their earthly lives
nine million or thereabouts bodies and body-fragments.
What is the duration of individual grieving they allow
beyond an agreed upper limit of sixty-six characters.
Think of Private Roy Douglas Harvey who was killed
a reserved and thoughtful schoolboy from Hillhead
leaving behind among other valuable relics a diary
completed up to the evening before his dawn attack
along with a much-thumbed Collins Gem dictionary
from the pages of which rose and will continue rising
these words as time and space maintain their relation
my task accomplished and the long day done.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project Forum Index -> Glasgow and Dunbartonshire - School Memorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group. Hosted by