Joined: 24 Feb 2009
Location: near Arbroath Angus
|Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:24 pm Post subject: Irish Stone at Culloden
|The National Trust For Scotland magazine Spring 2012 has a page on this topic from the Archive
The Irish Stone at Culloden , 1963
photograph in black & white followed by this write up from Iain Gale :
By Iain Gale .
"This remarkable photograph bears testimony to one of the lesser known facts about the battle of CULLODEN . Taken in October 1963 , at the unvieling of the MEMORIAL STONE to the IRISH TROOPS who fought at the Battle , it features , from left , Lt Col Patrick Hagan of the Irish Army , Col Jock Maitland -Makgill- Crichton of the Queens Own Cameron Highlanders , Col Madaillac of the French army , Cornelius Cremin , Irish Ambassador to Britain and Commandant James Coyle of the Irish Army .
The Irish stone had been erected by the Military History Society of Ireland to the pictureesquely names "Wild Geese" who fought for the Prince in the '45 . Irish Troops had been in the service of France since the Glorious Revolution of 1688 , being among the best diehard of Jacobites . By 1745 the French had six Irish Regiments .
There is some confusion as to how many Irish Troops joined the Prince's Army , some having been captured en route by the Royal Navy. It seems , though , that by Culloden they numbered between 285 and 302 . They were positioned on the left flank of the Jacobites second line and provided an essential element of regular infantry to balance the "one shot" Highland Charge tactic employed by the Clans .
The infantry , know as Irish Picquets , wore uniforms of the same red as that of their enemy across Drumossie Moor .
To the rear of the Jacobite army stood 70 members of the Fitzjames' Horse , an Irish Cavalry regiment also in French service . Together the Irish Troops did great service during the battle , covering the Jacobite retreat. The infantry's brevet commander, Brigadier Walter Stapleton, was mortally wounded.
Being in the service of the French Crown and so not actually traitors to King George , the captured survivors fared better than the Highlanders , and had prisoner of war status .
The Stone's inscription translates as "THE BREED OF KINGS , SONS OF MILEADH , EAGER WARRIORS AND HEROES ." Mileadh being the legendary founder of the Irish race .
A Service in Gaelic and English commemorating all who died in the battle , will be held at the site at 11am on 14th April . "
( saturday 14th being nearer tothe Anniversary date of 16th April ).........
patrick w anderson