Joined: 24 Jul 2007
Location: Just West of Glasgow
|Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:00 am Post subject: Dumbarton Cemetery Memorial Fountain
|Dumbarton Cemetery Memorial Fountain, Bellsmyre, Dumbarton
OSGB36: NS 4093 7620 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:57.1449N 4:32.9520W
The three photos and text were created by Larich Rig on Geograph. I have not visited this site.
Photos are © Copyright Lairich Rig and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
The fountain stands in the northern half of NS4076 : Dumbarton Cemetery. The inscription on the near side is extremely worn in places, but the sense of the text makes it possible to fill in the gaps
"Erected by the London-Dumbartonshire Association
President – Sir Iain Colquhoun, Bart, KT, DSO, LLD,
Lord Lieutenant of Dumbartonshire
to the honoured memory
of those of the county
who lost their lives
by enemy action
The far side of the fountain bears the very worn remnants of a crest and a Latin motto:
The motto appears to read "Fide Fortuna Fortes". The elephant with the castle on its back features in the Dumbarton arms, which "were registered in the Lyon Office in or about AD 1672. This was the year in which was passed the important Act which confers on the Lyon King of Arms the right to grant arms to 'virtuous and well-deserving persons'"; specifically, the Dumbarton arms are described as follows: "Azure, an elephant passant argent, tusked or, bearing on his back a tower proper".
Their origin is obscure. They are said to "appear upon the burgh seal appended to the document relating to the ransom of David II, son of Robert the Bruce, at the end of his eleven years of captivity dating from the battle of Neville's Cross", that document being dated 1357.
[The above details about the Dumbarton arms are from "The Dumbarton coat-of-arms" (1909), by Archibald Macdonald.]
[Although it is not recorded on the inscription, the memorial was unveiled in September of 1949. Sir Iain Colquhoun had been Lord-Lieutenant of the county from 1919 until his death in November 1948, but was succeeded in that role by Major General Alexander Telfer-Smollett, who performed the unveiling of the memorial.]