Joined: 24 Jul 2007
Location: Just West of Glasgow
|Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:08 am Post subject: John Clement Morrison and William Logie LLoyd Fitzwilliam
|This is a Brass memorial to two individuals
St Augustines Dumbarton WM
High Street Dumbarton, West Dunbartonshire G82 1LL
OSGB36: NS 3969 7522 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:56.5924N 4:34.1072W
It is Brass. The form is of a gothic arched window. Approximately 60cm high.
It is hung adjacent to the main wooden WM on the left interior wall of the church.
The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders Coat of Arms is at the top of the tablet in the apex of the arch.
The Dumbarton Coat of Arms, from an old burgh seal, of an elephant with a castle as a howdah is at the bottom right of the tablet. The Dumbarton motto of FORTIDO ET FIDELITAS is above the castle. A circular belt with DUMBARTONSHIRE VOLUNTEERS surrounds the coat of arms.
The font is gothic capitals in black with certain words or intials picked out in red.
TO THE GLORY OF GOD
AND IN MEMORY OF
JOHN CLEMENT MORRISON
WILLIAM LOGIE LLOYD FITZWILLIAM
THEY JOINED THE VOLUNTEER BATALLION
OF THE PRINCESS LOUISE
ARGYLL AND SUTHERLAND HIGHLANDERS
FOR SERVICE IN SOUTH AFRICA, 1900-1
AND DIED FROM FEVER,
THE FORMER AT HEILBRON, SOUTH AFRICA,
ON 24. JUNE 1900, AGED 24 YEARS, AND THE LATTER AT NETTLEY HOSPITAL ON 20, MAY 1901, AGED 22 YEARS.
THIS TABLET IS ERECTED BY THEIR
FELLOW MEMBERS OF THIS CHURCH
AND THEIR COMRADES IN THE
LOCAL RIFLE VOLUNTEERS