Joined: 13 Dec 2016
|Posted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:44 pm Post subject: Jacobite Memorial near Spean Bridge
This memorial, which is a Rough stone cairn with metal plaque at the roadside above High Bridge / Highbridge (both spellings are used).
Commemorates the action there on 16th August 1745.is at-
NN 19964 81922
Minor road North from crossroads 1 mile West of Spean Bridge, signposted Highbridge. Cairn about 1 mile down road on right. Right fork about 200 yards before memorial.
Minor road from Spean Bridge to Torlundy
North of main A82.
ACTION AT HIGH BRIDGE
Near this spot on August 16 1745, the first action of the "Forty- / Five" took place. Donald MacDonell of Tirnadris with eleven men / and a piper from Keppoch's Clan, by making use of the now demolished / High Bridge Inn and surrounding trees to conceal the smallness of / their number, succeeded in preventing two companies of The 1st / Royal regiment of Foot (later The Royal Scots) from crossing the / High Bridge over the River Spean. This force consisting of about / eighty five men, had been sent from Fort Augustus to reinforce the / garrison at Fort William.
ERECTED BY THE 1745 ASSOCIATION