The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project Forum Index The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project
(Registered Scottish Charity No. SC043826). Please visit our homepage at www.scottishmilitaryresearch.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

David Young Giffnock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project Forum Index -> Queries and Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jvmblair

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: David Young Giffnock Reply with quote

Hi there, I am struggling to find any information about what happened to a David Young born 1894 who appears on our church's (Orchardhill Parish , Giffnock, Glasgow) WW1 plaque.

There a David Young mentioned in the British Army WW1 Service Records, 1914-1920, who married a Elizabeth Kennedy in 1912. I checked the details of this marriage on Scotland's People but the parents of David do not match those on the Census .

In the 1901 Census, David was born in 1893/94 in Dennistoun(?), Glasgow, Lanarkshire - his father is described as a Provision Shop Keeper.

He appears as 'DAVID L' , age 17 , in the 1911 Census living at 'Symington' , Orchard Drive , Giffnock with his father, Hugh age 55, his mother , Agnes, age 57 his sister, Jean age 24 and his brother , William age 22. He appears as a 'Clerk' in the Provision Service with his father as a 'Merchant' in the Provision Service.

According to our church records his family were members of Orchardhill Parish Church, Giffnock - then known as Giffnock U.F. Church - but as far as I can see , he himself was not a member. In 1914 he was the Secretary of the Giffnock YMCA.

According to the Scottish Military Research Group web site the David Young on the Giffnock WW1 War Memorial lived in Carmunnock. I cannot find any connection for him to Orchardhill

Any enlightenment would be appreciated..

This is all the information that I have at the moment, but will keep you informed of any progress.

Regards

Jim
spoons

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, it's a long shot but have you looked at this man? Right middle initial and right father's name.

Service No:51585
Date of Death:27/03/1918
Regiment/Service:Auckland Regiment, N.Z.E.F.
2nd Bn.
Panel Reference:
Memorial:GREVILLERS (NEW ZEALAND) MEMORIAL
Additional Information:
Son of the late Hugh Young, of Opotiki, Thames.

Just confirmed it is the right man

http://ndhadeliver.natlib.govt.nz/delivery/DeliveryManagerServlet?dps_pid=IE21258925

Smile

Paul
Kenneth Morrison

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again Jim and welcome to this forum Very Happy
Good to see that Paul has identified your man Very Happy
jvmblair

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, Paul you have made my day. :D :D :D :D :D

I have another piece of information which I think really confirms your findings.

In our church magazine I found details of this marriage :

Young - Gray ;- At St. John's Presbyterian Church, Opotiki, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand , on 15th March, by REv Robert Francis, Wm, Young, County Clerk, Opotiki, eldest son of Mr. Hugh Young, late of Giffnock, to Adelaide, eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Gray St. Adelaide, Giffnock.

I believe that Adelaide was the sister of John Leslie Gray who is also mention on our plaque.

Thank you so much. You have helped me complete the details of the twenty-three men who are remembered on our plaque. These men will be remembered in a volume which will be displayed alongside a volume which contains details of those who served in the Second World War on Remembrance Sunday.

Once again, my thanks for your help

Regards

Jim
Kenneth Morrison

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plaque is at:
http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/viewtopic.php?t=5485&highlight=orchardhill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project Forum Index -> Queries and Requests All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: