The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project Forum Index The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project
(Registered Scottish Charity No. SC043826). Please visit our homepage at www.scottishmilitaryresearch.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

South Uist Memorial (Bornish) – Misspelling of Surname

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project Forum Index -> Western Isles - Civic Memorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
angmac142

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: South Uist Memorial (Bornish) – Misspelling of Surname Reply with quote

There appears to have been an error made in the spelling of my late uncle’s surname on the South Uist Memorial, who I am in fact named after. He is listed under the Frobost area as “A.B. Angus E MacKissan, M.N.” and his details also appear as such on the transcription.

However, the correct details should read A.B. Angus E MacKiggan, M.N. (i.e. MacKiggan as opposed to MacKissan) and I’d be grateful if action could be taken to correct this where at all possible as I would like to see him get his proper due for his sacrifice to his country.

Many thanks,
Angus MacKiggan
DelBoy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: memorial name correction Reply with quote

Hello Angus,

Unfortunately quite a few surnames are spelled slightly different on various waer memorials, even the officiasl army records themsleves can be different.

The vast majority of community war memorials are maintained by the local council, but not always, it would be to them you would have to make contact.

Some councils allow the addition of names, others do not, I'm unsure how many have allowed corrections to be made, although there are signs this has occured at some point on a few memorials, likely not long after they were erected and the mistake noticed.

[EDIT]
Here's his listing on SNWM, with the correct spelling.

Surname: MacKIGGAN
Firstname: Angus
Date of death: 01/01/1941
Place of birth: Lochboisdale
Other: S.S. "RIBERA"
SNWM roll: MERCHANT NAVY & FISHING FLEETS (Part 2)

As he died as a result of a fall aboard ship whilst in Belfast dock, and not enemy action, his name is unfortunately not recorded by the CWGC.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on,
Derek.
spoons

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Western Isles Council have the legal authority to make any alterations or additions to War Memorials, however there is no legal requirement for them to do so. A little bit of local pressure from yourself, local press etc might bring results as it has elsewhere. The following gives the legal position. http://www.warmemorials.org/uploads/publications/121.pdf

\Paul
angmac142

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: memorial name correction Reply with quote

DelBoy wrote:
Hello Angus,

Unfortunately quite a few surnames are spelled slightly different on various waer memorials, even the officiasl army records themsleves can be different.

The vast majority of community war memorials are maintained by the local council, but not always, it would be to them you would have to make contact.

Some councils allow the addition of names, others do not, I'm unsure how many have allowed corrections to be made, although there are signs this has occured at some point on a few memorials, likely not long after they were erected and the mistake noticed.

[EDIT]
Here's his listing on SNWM, with the correct spelling.

Surname: MacKIGGAN
Firstname: Angus
Date of death: 01/01/1941
Place of birth: Lochboisdale
Other: S.S. "RIBERA"
SNWM roll: MERCHANT NAVY & FISHING FLEETS (Part 2)

As he died as a result of a fall aboard ship whilst in Belfast dock, and not enemy action, his name is unfortunately not recorded by the CWGC.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on,
Derek.

Hi Derek,

Many thanks for your response – really appreciated. Unfortunately, hardly anyone from my uncle’s era who knew him (or of him) are sadly with us, including my father (his brother) who passed away just over 24 years ago.

Details of Angus’s death were sketchy for us therefore, i.e. we knew he had died as a result of a fall on board his ship (and had some indication of what was behind that), but didn’t have details of the date, ship and location etc so the information you have provided from the SNWM is brilliant and helps fill in a lot of the gaps. Many thanks for that.

I’ll certainly get in touch with the local Council to see if we can get the surname corrected, but in the current austerity period I’m not holding out too much hope of that happening. I’ll let you know if we’ve had any success etc.

Thanks again,
Angus
angmac142

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoons wrote:
The Western Isles Council have the legal authority to make any alterations or additions to War Memorials, however there is no legal requirement for them to do so. A little bit of local pressure from yourself, local press etc might bring results as it has elsewhere. The following gives the legal position. http://www.warmemorials.org/uploads/publications/121.pdf

\Paul

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for the useful information regards the legal authority of the local Council to make any alterations or additions to War Memorials – much appreciated and very useful to know.

I’m across in the Western Isles in the near future and will make some enquiries with the WI council as to whether they would consider correcting my uncle’s surname on the memorial. I am not holding out much hope however given the current pressure Councils are under financially. I’ll let you know if we’ve had any success etc.

Thanks again,
Angus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project Forum Index -> Western Isles - Civic Memorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: