The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project Forum Index The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project
(Registered Scottish Charity No. SC043826). Please visit our homepage at www.scottishmilitaryresearch.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stranraer Burgh ROH

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project Forum Index -> Dumfries & Galloway - Other Memorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spoons

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Stranraer Burgh ROH Reply with quote

Not listed on UKNIWM

Now located in Stranraer Museum Store, 14 Bellevilla Rd, Stranraer OS Map Ref NX 063 608

When I visited the store to photograph the Lochryan church memorial, I asked for any other memorials (none), then I asked about this very large wrapped object partly blocking the corridor. I had been there at least six years, not yet on the inventory and other details not immediately available (!). The bubble wrap was removed and this emerged.

The board is wood and brass and is a significant object. Probably 7 feet long and nearly 5 feet high. I presume it came from the Town Hall, either the original Town Hall (now the court) or the later Town Hall (now the museum) or possibly it was in both at different times.

I get the distinct impression it was made before the end of the war due to the very small section of 'enlisted since 1916'. There are also many more names on the Stranraer Burch civic memorial than are listed as died on this ROH. However, the fact that the regiment is given may help identify those on the main civic memorial.

Finding this large and previously 'unknown' memorial shows that you really need to look in every nook and cranny.

This is the current location.

Adam Brown
Curator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul

What a great find, and as you mention this magnificent Roll was not even on the books of the Museum! Hopefully a suitable location can be found for it soon.

It's also an excellent extra source of information for units since the Stranraer War Memorial only lists names.

Regards

Adam
Kenneth Morrison

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul - well done that man. Brilliant find.

One of the Canadians, William Campbell, is remembered on a family gravestone in Crossmichael Parish Churchyard.

He was Corporal (12808) of the 5th Battalion, Canadian Infantry (Saskatchewan Regiment) Age 28.
A decorator and member of a local militia, he enlisted in September 1914 at Valcartier, Quebec and was killed at Festubert in May 1915 during an attack on the German trenches where the battalion, already down to 2 effective companies, lost a further 5 officers, 12 NCO's and 43 men.

Born 1887 at Stranraer, Wigtownshire. He was the son of William and Jane (Wright) Campbell who ran the Caledonian Hotel, Stranraer.
William, an Innkeeper, and Jane, of Crossmichael married at Crossmichael in 1875.

He was reported as Missing in Action on 24 May 1915 and is listed on the Vimy Memorial, France and on the Stranraer War Memorial.
DerekR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

Well done on rediscovering the memorial.

Any idea of how it came to be discarded and ended up wrapped in bubblewrap?

Time but th' impression stronger makes, As streams their channels deeper wear.
spoons

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a hunch, but my guess it was in the original town hall (now a court) then moved to the new town hall. This latter building then became the museum and (my guess) the memorial was 'in the way' so was removed to the museum store. If this supposition is true, it would account for why the memorial has never been added to the museum inventory - because it has never been received by the museum, rather it was part of the building they took over. This is purely my conjecture of course.

\Paul
Adam Brown
Curator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Stranraer Museum over the summer and it looks like it has been done up fairly recently, perhaps it was moved then. Your suggestion makes a lot of sense Paul.

Cheers

Adam
spoons

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lady who works in the museum store believes that it has been in its current location since she began working there about 6 years ago, so it is not a recent move.

\Paul
Adam Brown
Curator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I say fairly recently I mean within the last 5 to 10 years or even the 1990's. It's not an old fashioned museum, it has been purposely refurbished for displays. That means the memorial could have been wrapped up for quite some time.

I wondered why the town's war memorial was outside the court. It makes sense if it was sited in front of the then town hall.

Thanks

Adam
stuartn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is now WMR, ex UKNIWM, memorial 56999
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project Forum Index -> Dumfries & Galloway - Other Memorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: