The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project Forum Index The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project
(Registered Scottish Charity No. SC043826). Please visit our homepage at www.scottishmilitaryresearch.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Parish of Fourdon, Auchenblae
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project Forum Index -> Aberdeenshire - Civic Memorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam Brown
Curator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Parish of Fourdon, Auchenblae Reply with quote

This memorial is the parish memorial for Fourdon. It is situated on top of Gilbert's Hill in Auchenblae.

The community called Fourdon also has the First World War names from the parish listed on a plaque in the Fourdon Village War Memorial Hall.

Adam Brown
Curator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam Brown
Curator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how long this memorial will stay in this location. It is on top of a hill and there is only a steep unsurfaced path.

The view over Auchenblae

The path

The bottom of the path. Unmarked

dhubthaigh
Our first ever 1000-poster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam,

Well done, good photos, a marvellous view - and quite a climb!
Adam Brown
Curator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was quite a climb, I doubt many older residents make the climb in November.

You see quite a few rural memorials sited like this on a vantage point overlooking the parish. I always think it is because the men listed probably knew the spot well from their childhoods.

Quite a few have been moved to sites within the communities rather than overlooking them and I'm surprised this one is still where it is without it being more accessible.

Perhaps having the memorial hall nearby means this one can be left where it was originally built.

Adam
kinnethmont

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos.
As you will be aware Auchenblae and Fordoun are a couple of miles apart which might explain the parish one at Auchenblae and the Fordoun one at Fordoun hall. It may be the names are the same and a dispute arose when the parish memorial was not located in Fordoun.

Quote:
Quite a few have been moved to sites within the communities rather than overlooking them and I'm surprised this one is still where it is without it being more accessible.

Generally those in the Auchenblae type location were put there so that they could be seen from a wide area. I was a bit surprised at your suggestion it ought possibly to be moved. Memorials are generally viewed as " sacred " by those linked to them.

If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

www.kinnethmont.co.uk
dhubthaigh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam,

Have you missed a panel of names? The following appear on the Fordoun Hall but not here;

John Brown
Henry Gammell
A Gordon Henderson
Alex J F Duncan
Douglas A Simpson
Robert D Chrystal
George Blackhall
James Gerrard
David M Smith
Edwin MacDoanld
George C Chalmers
John Davidson
Arthur B Hendry
Robert Walker

The WW2 names have been inscribed above, I assume because the four sides were taken up
dhubthaigh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add the 'missing' names are first on Fordoun Hall because of rank.
Adam Brown
Curator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark

There are no names on the rear panel. Perhaps they felt it was inappropriate to put the names on the rear of the memorial? That means there are quite a few names on the hall memorial which aren't on this one. Jim may have hit the nail on the head...

kinnethmont wrote:
As you will be aware Auchenblae and Fordoun are a couple of miles apart which might explain the parish one at Auchenblae and the Fordoun one at Fordoun hall. It may be...a dispute arose when the parish memorial was not located in Fordoun.

The Rosehall memorial in Sutherland was built after an argument amongst the committee of the Creich War Memorial in Bonar Bridge led to a split. That means the Creich Parish War Memorial doesn't actually list all the dead from the Parish of Creich.. It may be that although it says it is for People of Fourdon on this memorial it might be that only those from Auchenblae? The wording "People of Fourdon" rather than the parish of Fourdon may be significant.

kinnethmont wrote:
Generally those in the Auchenblae type location were put there so that they could be seen from a wide area. I was a bit surprised at your suggestion it ought possibly to be moved. Memorials are generally viewed as " sacred " by those linked to them.

I've seen a few memorials in the Highland Council area moved. Some have been moved as part of road developments, and some have been moved because their original position made them difficult to visit for older people (Bettyhill and Loth for example). This one is not easy to get to - although it's well worth the climb - and anyone who has trouble walking any distance or with the aid of a stick or frame would have difficulty getting to it unless there is access through the fields to the rear of the memorial. I didn't see any other tracks or gates for access though. That leads me to think that in the future the community may ask for it to be moved?

Hopefully it will remain in its commanding position on top of the hill for many years to come.

Regards

Adam
dhubthaigh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam Brown wrote:
Mark

There are no names on the rear panel. Perhaps they felt it was inappropriate to put the names on the rear of the memorial? That means there are quite a few names on the hall memorial which aren't on this one. Regards

Adam

Thanks for that. Quite a few indeed. This is where it would be interesting to have the newspaper articles relating to the erection and unveiling etc.

Mark
dhubthaigh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam Brown wrote:

Adam

Off topic but interesting. I spotted an article in the Perthshire Advertiser (2000) regarding proposals for a new memorial at Dunkeld. The original is atop a steep hill overlooking Birnam. They had ground laid aside by the council and were fundraising (quite costly). They wanted to do this so older/disabled/children had easier access - and for remembrance services. It must have fallen through because the original is still used.

Mark
anne park
Our first ever 2000 poster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Joseph Anderson Reply with quote

Anderson Joseph Pte S/9085 1st Gordon Highlanders b New Machar e Aberdeen Age 18 Killed in Action F & F 20-Jul-15 Son of Mary Jane Nicol Anderson, Springbank House, Fordoun, Kincardineshire. Menin Gate Memorial, Ypres M. R. 29 Panel 38
anne park

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: George Blackhall Reply with quote

George Duncan Blackhall Sjt 290 7th Gordon Highlanders b Fetteresso e Auchinblae Died of Wounds F & F 05/08/1916 1891 Census: Roadside Cheyne, Cottar House, Fetteresso. B 1890: Age 10mo: Mother Jessie. 1901 Census: Alpity Cottar House, Arbuthnott. Father's Occ: Farm Servant Ploughman. Soldiers Effects: Father John. Flat Iron Copse Cemetery, Mametz Fr 0453 Plot I Row C Grave 32 AWJ 08-08-16 P3: Photo: Fordoun EE 23-08-16 Page 4

Last edited by anne park on Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
anne park

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: John Brown Reply with quote

Brown John Capt 4th Gordon Highlanders Age 34 Killed in Action F & F 20-Jul-18 Only son of Sir John Brown, JP & Lady Brown, Redhall, Kincardineshire. Husband of Margaret Jackson Gardiner (formerly Brown). 10 Marine Terr; Aberdeen. Aberdeen Grammar School. City Roll of Honour. Marfaux British Cemetery Fr 0622 Plot I Row B Grave 6 City & Fordoun Grammar
anne park

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: George C Chalmers Reply with quote

Chalmers George C Cpl 14th Black Watch Nigg, Ross-shire Kirkcaldy 25 Died of Wounds Egypt 08-Nov-17 Son of George & Elizabeth Chalmers, Balfeith, Fordoun. Formerly 2199 F & F Yeomanry. Beersheba War Cemetery, Israel Is 01 Row L Grave 45
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project Forum Index -> Aberdeenshire - Civic Memorials All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: