The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project Forum Index The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project
(Registered Scottish Charity No. SC043826). Please visit our homepage at www.scottishmilitaryresearch.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Abbey, United Free Church WW1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project Forum Index -> Dumfries & Galloway - Church Memorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spoons

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: New Abbey, United Free Church WW1 Reply with quote

Not listed on UKNIWM

Location - formerly inside original UF Church which is became the Women's Guild hall at OS Map Ref NX 963 664. Relocated in March 2011 to the wall of the New Abbey parish church at NX 965 659.

Last edited by spoons on Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
spoons

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This memorial has now been relocated as the building is in the process of being sold. This update from George Sommerville.

"I am pleased to say that the memorial over the last fortnight has been fixed on the wall of the Church.
We are waiting for a convenient time to hold a re-dedication service and will let you know when."

\Paul
spoons

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This memorial will be re-dedicated as part of the remembrance day service on Sunday 13th November beginning at 09:45.

\Paul
Kenneth Morrison

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul - well done, for your efforts on this project.

I've copied the following over from the War Memorial thread.

The sons of Constable John Clingan of New Abbey Police Station and of Agnes Jane (Edgar) Clingan.
THOMAS CLINGAN : TOWNHEAD : 1:5 KOSB
Thomas Clingan, Private (1973) 1/5th Battalion (Dumfries and Galloway) King's Own Scottish Borderers. Age 20.
Born 1895 at Troqueer, Kirkcudbrightshire.
A gardener at Elangowan House. Enlisted October 1914
Killed in action 29 December 1915 and buried in the Redoubt Cemetery, Gallipoli, Turkey.

WILLIAM CLINGAN : TOWNHEAD : 6. KOSB
William Clingan, Private (25398) 6th Battalion, King's Own Scottish Borderers. Age 24.
Born 1893 at Troqueer, Kirkcudbrightshire. Enlisted July 1916.
Killed in action 9 April 1917 at Arras and buried in Roclincourt Valley Cemetery, France.

GEORGE McCALL : AUCHENFAD : 87. CAN.
John George McCall, Private (178248) 87th Canadian Infantry (Quebec Regiment) Age 25.
Born 1892 at Heck, Lochmaben, Dumfriesshire. Son of Janet Craighton-McCall. Enlisted February 1916 in the 87th Canadian Grenadier Guards at South Porcupine, Ontario.
Killed in action 19 August 1918 and buried in the Hillside Cemetery, Le Quesnel, France.
spoons

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The remembrance service today included the re-dedication of this memorial in its new location. The dedication was made by Reverand Maureen Duncan and the wreath was laid by Jim Clingan who is nephew to the Clingan brothers named on the memorial.

Jim's brother Willie was also present and he allowed me to take copies of photographs of Thomas and William Clingan.

The moving of the memorial was done by monumental mason Edward Layden of Dumfries who generously provided his services free of charge.

There is a small amount of redecoration to be completed around the memorial and the fabric convenor of the church will add an explanatory plaque giving the original location of the memorial and the reason for its move. The original building has now been sold.

William Clingan

and Thomas Clingan

Stewartry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas Clingan was mentioned in my Auchencairn book since he was buried alongside four other bomb throwers of the 1/5th KOSB, including Norman McMurray of Auchencairn, who were killed on 29/30 Dec 1915. The CWGC states that these men are known to be buried in Redoubt Cemetery but the exact locations are unknown, so they are commemorated by individual special memorials. However, although these memorials are spread about the cemetery, my research shows that they were buried side-by-side:

Here is a general view of Redoubt Cemetery:

And here is Thomas remembered on Special Memorial A120:

Stuart[/img]
ATC Auchencairn book
spoons

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Article published in the Galloway News 17 Nov 2011. I apologise to the members for not 'plugging' SMRG or this project but as WMT had given advice on the re-siting, then I thought it only fair.

spoons

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dumfries and Galloway Standard of 18 Nov 2011 had an almost identical (to the Galloway News article) half page article on the rededication ceremony. No need for me to post it here I think but if anyone would like a copy.................

\Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project Forum Index -> Dumfries & Galloway - Church Memorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: