The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project Forum Index The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project
(Registered Scottish Charity No. SC043826). Please visit our homepage at www.scottishmilitaryresearch.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A beginners guide to posting pictures on the forum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project Forum Index -> New members, Help & Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: A beginners guide to posting pictures on the forum Reply with quote

Basically, pictures of memorials cannot be uploaded straight onto this website and so it is first necessary for a user to have an image "hosted" somewhere else.

To do this you have to use a picture host such as Photobox or Photobucket or even your own Internet provider.
It is then a case of uploading your pictures from your computer directly onto a host such as these.

Once they are uploaded, the trick now is to get the location of your picture on these hosts and use a link to put it on this form.

Ok - now look at your pictures you've loaded onto your host, e.g Photobucket or Photobox.

Right click on the image you want to post on this forum .

On Internet Explorer, if you use that browser, RIGHT click in the gobbleydegook to the right of where it says ADDRESS URL and then press SELECT ALL.
On Firefox, if you use that, click PROPERTIES and then RIGHT click in the gobbleydegook to the right of where it says LOCATION and then press SELECT ALL.
You should now have the code to where the image is kept.

Then go to this forum, press the IMG button top right above this message body box and an [img] will appear.
Right click and then press PASTE and then go back up to the IMG button top right (which should now be IMG* denoting that it marks the end of the image) and that should be the image posted.

It is not as difficult as I have probably made it sound!

Time but th' impression stronger makes, As streams their channels deeper wear.
KF Kelly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Posting photos Reply with quote

Derek,

I found these instructions very helpful and I even got it to work on a Mac. Can you place more than 1 photo on a post? I was nor successful in doing that.

Kevin
DerekR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,

Yes, you can place multiple images all on the same page.
It is just a case of making sure each individual picture is enclosed in tags e.g

[img ] Picture1 [/img ]

and then starting the next picture on a new line

[img ] Picture2 [/img ]

and so on.

Or you can simply add your next picture if you add a REPLY to the bottom of your earlier post

David McNay
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should point out that with Photobucket it is even easier to get the "tag" for posting your photos.

In your album you wil see three lines of code underneath each thumbnail picture. The bottom one includes the [img] tags. If you click it once you will see the word "copied" appear in yellow. You can then go into your message on this forum, right-click and select "paste". This will paste the entire URL including the img tags.

Couldn't be simpler!
David McNay
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd provide a list of photographs which new members might wish to take of a memorial. This lists should highlight all the areas worth covering.

So, if you're taking photos of a memorial, the following would be useful:

1. A general shot of the area including the memorial (so we can see the setting of the area it's in)

2. A close-up of the whole memorial itself.

3. A closeup shot of the inscription and names.

4. Closeups of any details such as panels or statues which may be of interest (this is optional but is of interest to many here).

Anyone got any other suggestions for photographs members should take?
Adam Brown
Curator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David

Before this forum started I never bothered to try and take a photo of the designer or sculptor’s signature or marks on a memorial but I know this would be of great help and interest to the likes of Jim McGinlay.

Any other additional plaques or notices near the memorial which note restoration work or additions or give some background would be of interest as well.

Adam
spoons

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the memorial is in a building such as a church or school, I like to include a shot of the outside of the building as well. Helps to find/identify it as well as giving some feeling about it.
black jock

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found the memorial that was believed to be missing at Ethiebeaton and have the details. I started on the Great War Forum and posted a photo on it, I'm totaly confused about getting the photo on to here tho'

Tom
DerekR

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jock,
Open up the page on the GWF and then Right click on the image that you posted on it.
On Internet Explorer, RIGHT click in the gobbleydegook to the right of where it says ADDRESS URL and then press SELECT ALL.
Then go to this forum, press the IMG button top right above this message body box and an [img] will appear.
Right click and then press PASTE and then go back up to the IMG button top right (which should now be IMG* denoting that it marks the end of the image) and that should be the image posted.

gourdongirl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I download my pix onto my flikr account then add them here, or do I need a photo bucket account?
spoons

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gourdongirl wrote:
Can I download my pix onto my flikr account then add them here, or do I need a photo bucket account?

I am fairly sure you can post from a flikr account although I haven't done it myself. This is what the text looks like from photobucket and you need to get something similar from flikr for it to work

[img]http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r243/spoons34/Dalry/P1000107.jpg[/img

I have deliberately left off the closing square bracket from the above so you can see the text, if you add a square bracket then you get

If you can't get it to work, just post your link, one of us will sort it out and then you can see how it is done

\Paul
gourdongirl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers.

I'll give it a try on my next days off when I have time to muck about with it.

Shona
moriaty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Posting photographs via Dropbox - is it possible? Reply with quote

I attempted to follow these instructions using Dropbox - but failed.

Has anyone managed to post photographs to this forum via Dropbox?

Moriaty
spoons

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here goes

What I did was (in dropbox) make sure the file is shared, right click on the file, copy public link, copy to clipboard then (in SWMP) type [img (and a close square bracket), paste the link from windows clipboard (I use ctrl/v) then type [/img (and a close square bracket)

It should look like [img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15706825/Scott1%20%5B800x600%5D.jpg[/img (plus a close square bracket) and produces

\Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project Forum Index -> New members, Help & Introductions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: