The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project Forum Index The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project
(Registered Scottish Charity No. SC043826). Please visit our homepage at www.scottishmilitaryresearch.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Abbey, Waterloo Monument

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project Forum Index -> Dumfries & Galloway - Civic Memorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spoons

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: New Abbey, Waterloo Monument Reply with quote

Not listed on UKNIWM

Location at the top of a hill overlooking New Abbey (further detail to be added)

I don't know how I managed to miss this one first time around. It stands on top of a prominent hill and can be seen for miles around. I read that the monument is about 65 feet high, that sounds about right. There is a spiral staircase leading up inside and it can be climbed with caution, it is open at the top where there is no protection or parapet but a fantastic view. The inscription is about one third of the way up.

"Erected AD 1816
To record the valour of those British, Belgian and Prussian soldiers
who under Wellington and Blucher on the 18th of June 1815
gained the victory of Waterloo; by which, French tyranny
was overthrown and peace restored to the world"

It seems odd to see a memorial with the British and Germans as allies against the French.

An important part of this monument is the very remarkable granite steps that have been laid into the hillside to create a path to the monument, a significant feat of civil engineering in its own right.

Adam Brown
Curator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: New Abbey, Waterloo Monument Reply with quote

spoons wrote:
it seems odd to see a memorial with the British and Germans as allies against the French

I stand to be corrected but I think this is the first memorial on our forum remembering German soldiers.

Your comment reminds me of Terry Gilliam's film set in Napoleonic times 'The Brothers Grimm' where its starts in "French occupied Germany".

Adam
dhubthaigh
Our first ever 1000-poster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is their any significance/connection as to why the memorial was built in this location. Or are there others around Scotland that haven't been mentioned/known about ?
David McNay
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic view - any chance you took the opportunity for a panorma shot?
dhubthaigh
Our first ever 1000-poster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The planned village of Waterloo, near Bankfoot, Perthshire was named after the battle so is in itself a war memorial ?
spoons

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found on the web..................

“Lt Col James Stewart of Shambellie estate at New Abbey raised and commanded the 42nd Regiment which fought at Waterloo,” Mr Jardine said.

“Many of the men who joined up with from Dumfries and district.

“The men of Gifhorn were in the Prussian army lead by Blucher who fought with the British at the battle.

“They still have a Waterloo band in Gifhorn which parades through the streets in uniforms of the time."

Shambellie estate is at the edge of New Abbey and, unless I miss my guess, the monument is actually on the estate. Dumfries is twinned with Gifhorn. The hill where the monument stands was originally called Glen Hill but is now shown as Waterloo hill on the map.

There is a large enclosed area in the New Abbey graveyard to the Stewart family of Shambellie and there are certainly military inscriptions (yet to be posted on SWGP) but not sure if there is anything legible to James Stewart.

Someone (local council?) has recently commissioned a 7 foot high painting of the monument and this has now gone to Gifhorn on a 10 year loan. They are looking towards some celebrations in 2015.

No panorama shot I'm afraid, I've never done one. When I got to the top it was very windy and with no railing or parapet, the chances for photography were limited however here is another of New Abbey itself.

DerekR

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have wondered what the tower was on top of the hill and now I know.

There is a similar(ish) tower at Penielheugh near Ancrum in the Scottish Borders which commemorates the victory at Waterloo. It is higher and can be seen for miles around. Seemingly tree plantations were planted on the lower ground to represent the troop formations at the battle.

I have yet to get a close up of this tower.

Time but th' impression stronger makes, As streams their channels deeper wear.
spoons

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention, my excuse for missing this memorial in my first sweep of the area is that it was completely surrounded by mature trees until recently but they have now been all clear felled so revealing the monument in all its glory.

\Paul
spoons

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booklet written by Rev William Holland, MA has just been produced about this monument with much information about the subscriptions and the building of the monument. On sale in the New Abbey café, shop and church, price £2

\Paul
spoons

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Border life's program about this monument is at http://www.itv.com/news/border/topic/border-life/ episode 69.

\Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project Forum Index -> Dumfries & Galloway - Civic Memorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: