The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project Forum Index The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project
(Registered Scottish Charity No. SC043826). Please visit our homepage at www.scottishmilitaryresearch.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

St James Church War Memorial (Destroyed), Edinburgh

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project Forum Index -> Edinburgh - Church Memorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam Brown
Curator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: St James Church War Memorial (Destroyed), Edinburgh Reply with quote

St James's Church War Memorial Photographs
Greenside Parish Church
Regent Road
Edinburgh

I don't know whether I should be glad that a church still displays images of this memorial or sad that such magnificent war memorial windows have been destroyed.

Through a series of unions over the years the congregation of St James is now merged with Greenside Parish Church.

The plaque below gives some clues to what has happend but I suspect the mergers to form the current Greenside congregation have been quite convoluted. I know another church on McDonald Road merged with St Mary's off Gayfield Square and that in turn merged with Bellevue Parish Church

Adam Brown
Curator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the congregation moved out photographs were taken of the eight stained glass windows which made up the St James Church War Memorial.

The church has long since gone but the images are on display in their own cabinet in Greenside Parish Church.

Unfortunately the church officers couldn't find the key to this cabinet today so I had to take the photographs through the glass. They are still good enough to see what magnificent images of the Great War have been lost. The are reminicent of the ones in the Scottish National War memorial.

Unfortunately no-one at the church today knew of the artist responsible for them. I'm sure there will be some record of them somewhere but it will take some investigation.

Last edited by Adam Brown on Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Adam Brown
Curator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to get the camera at an angle to get the close up photographs of the names.

David McNay
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The style of the book leads me to think there might be more pictures on other pages - could this be the case?
dhubthaigh
Our first ever 1000-poster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That must indeed have been a stunning memorial. How sad to think it was completely destroyed. 'At least' we have pictures of some sort.
Adam Brown
Curator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David McNay wrote:
The style of the book leads me to think there might be more pictures on other pages - could this be the case?

Yes, I thought that too but unfortunately no-one knew what was on the other pages, like I say it's been many years since this cabinet has been opened.

I intend contacting the church to see if they have anything in their records about the windows so I will ask if there is anything else in the book.

Adam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project Forum Index -> Edinburgh - Church Memorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: