The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project Forum Index The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project
(Registered Scottish Charity No. SC043826). Please visit our homepage at www.scottishmilitaryresearch.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Camelon Parish Church
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project Forum Index -> Stirling & Central Scotland - Church Memorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
apanderson
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Camelon Parish Church Reply with quote

Dorrator Road, Camelon

Map Ref: NS873805

WW2

WW1

dhubthaigh
Our first ever 1000-poster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a magnificent church memorial. 265!! names recorded - I must study these in more depth at some point.
dhubthaigh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only John McFeat;

Name: McFEAT, JOHN
Initials: J
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Royal Garrison Artillery
Unit Text: 14th Siege Bty.
Date of Death: 01/05/1916
Service No: 60873
Additional information: Eldest Son of John and Marion McFeat, of Tinkle Top House, Ballindean, Inchture, Perthshire.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: E. 9.
Cemetery: BEAUVAL COMMUNAL CEMETERY

Also commemorated at Kilspindie & Rait!
http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/viewtopic.php?t=1428&highlight=kilspindie
apanderson
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few men on this memorial listed as 'the only' on CWGC and a few others not listed at all - well, I can't find them if they are. Two which immediately spring to mind are James Aigo and James Ving - no Aigos or Vings listed at all, even after trying all the surname variants I could think of.

It's been fun and games trying to figure out who's who - there are so many of them without an obvious connection to Camelon and to be included in the new War Memorial, that's the criteria. I don't know if ranks etc., are to be included on the memorial or it's just going to be names.

Anne
apanderson
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhubthaigh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apanderson wrote:
There are a few men on this memorial listed as 'the only' on CWGC and a few others not listed at all - well, I can't find them if they are. Two which immediately spring to mind are James Aigo and James Ving - no Aigos or Vings listed at all, even after trying all the surname variants I could think of.
Anne

apanderson
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Smarty Pants - I never thought of GING!!! Rolling Eyes

Thanks Mark!

P.S. I wonder if he had red hair?

P.P.S. Should I leave him as Ving or change it to Ging? No wonder I couldn't find him Laughing
dhubthaigh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nae bother Anne,

If there are any others throw them in, I like a challenge!

James Aigo is certainly a bit of a puzzle!!

Mark
spoons

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a James Igoe on SNWM - born in Ireland but obviously a Scottish connection somewhere. Do you think it could be him? Igoe and Aigo sound the same to me when I pronounce them.

\Paul
apanderson
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right enough Paul - they do sound the same when you say them. Now that we know there's at least one glaring error on the memorial - that might explain why I can't find a lot of them.

I know in Denny, there's a few Iggo families - probably an offshoot of some description too.

Anne
Adam Brown
Curator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

L/Cpl John Eyeval on the Brora war memorial is listed on CWGC and SDGW as Ivel so Paul's Igoe / Aigo suggestion could be right.

Name: IGOE, JAMES
Initials: J
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Scots Guards
Unit Text: 1st Bn.
Date of Death: 11/11/1914
Service No: 7517
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 11.
Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL
ADP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Scotsman - Tuesday, 4th January 1921, page 5

WAR MEMORIALS

CAMELON (FALKIRK.) — In memory of the men belonging to the quoad sacra parish of Camelon who made the supreme sacrifice in the war, a beautifully designed scroll memorial, framed in oak, and bearing the names of 263 fallen soldiers, was unveiled by Col. Robertson, V.C., O.B.E., at an impressive service held in Camelon Parish Church. An interesting feature was the gift of the children of the Sunday School of two handsome gilt vases, together with a small endowment for the provision of flowers. The dedication ceremony was performed by the Rev. R. A. Agnew, minister of the church.

ADP
John Durham

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Frederick NUNN Reply with quote

The Frederick Nunn on Camelon war memorial is;-
Private 7794 Frederick Wright NUNN, 1st Battalion, Scots Guards
Born 14th Jully 1891 North Ormesby, Middlesbrough
Son of James Wright and Elizabeth Jane Dixon Nunn of Sunnyside Rd, Camelon. He had brothers James (I believe this is James Wright Nunn who is also on the memorial and was KIA 13.11.1916 as L/Cpl 17143 MGC) and Charles.
16.1.1911 Attested for Scots Guards at Linlithgow and allocated the regimental number 7794. At this time he was employed as a range fitter. Gave his next of kin as his father, address 11 Gordon St, Camelon.
17.1.1911 Joined 2nd Battalion at Caterham
21.3.1912 Transferred to 1st Battalion
22.3.1912 Posted to Eygpt
2.1.1913 Returned to UK and transferred to army reserve, he was awarded a gratuity of £2.
22.1.1914 Appointed to Middlesbrough Borough Police as PC141
He was a single man, 5'10 in height and an army reservist.
29.1.1914 Appointment confirmed by the Watch Committee on a probation period of 6 months.
16.7.1914 Appointment deferred and probation extended for a period of 3 months.
4.8.1914 Recalled to the colours, mobilized London on 5th August
13.8.1914 Entered France
11.11.1914 Reported missing in action, this was given as his presumptive date of death.
Commemorated on Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial
23.12.1915 The War Office having presumed the death of the ex constable who rejoined the 1st Battalion, Scots Guards at the outbreak of the war, and who was posted as missing on 11.11.1914, the Watch Committee then ordered that moneys granted in the ex constables favour, amounting to the sum of £9.12s.0d be paid to the father.
Frederick Wright Nunn is recorded on Middlesbrough Police War Memorial and Middlesbrough War Memorial.
John
milmor_1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Pte Edward Traynor Reply with quote

The following is the information I have located with regards to Edward Traynor named on the memorial plaque.

TRAYNOR, Edward Private 18146 1st Bn Royal Dublin Fusiliers
Born: Edenderry, Offaly (Kings County) Resided: Camelon, Falkirk Enlisted: Stenhousemuir, Falkirk.
Age: 28 Date of Death: 30/06/1915 Cause: Killed in action.
Family Notes: Son of Mrs. B. Traynor, of 22A, Dorrator Rd., Camelon, Falkirk, Stirlingshire.
Grave/Memorial: Panel 190 to 196. Helles Memorial.

I note two other Traynor's named on the plaque, can anyone tell me if they were related and if so in what way.

Best regards, Mal Murray
RG Stevenson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: James Aigo Reply with quote

Hi,have been researching the names of the war dead from Camelon for the first world war for some time now and have various obituaries from the Falkirk Herald,this is the one for James Aigo- Mrs James Aigo, Glasgow Road, Camelon, has received official intimation that her husband, Lance-Corpl. James Aigo, A. and S.H., was killed in France on 29th January.Prior to enlisting in August 1916, Lance-Corpl. Aigo, who was 36 years of age, was a fitter in Port Downie Foundry. He went to France in December of last year.From the Falkirk Herald 23/2/1918.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project Forum Index -> Stirling & Central Scotland - Church Memorials All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: