The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project Forum Index The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project
(Registered Scottish Charity No. SC043826). Please visit our homepage at www.scottishmilitaryresearch.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Miss MacDougall's 1920s Photo Album

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David McNay
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Miss MacDougall's 1920s Photo Album Reply with quote

Forum member Macrae recently donated a photograph album to me, which contained a number of memorial photographs.

In actual fact, this is entirely what the album consisted of.

From what I have found written on the backs of the postcards and photographs, it appears that this was an album compiled by a Miss MacDougall, (first name unknown), who lived in Knightswood in Glasgow around 1929. There are several photographs dated July 1929, and one postcard sent to her by someone named "Meg" which was posted on 28th July 1929. It may be all these photographs were taken at this time. They cover various areas of Scotland, as well as some English memorials.

It's a facinating album in places, where you can see just how some places have changed over the years. Given the dates of the photographs, the memorials have only First World War names on them, and in one case there are freshly laid wreaths at the base.

I'll be posting a selection of the photos in this thread, and then adding them to the relevant sections. Some of the memorials have yet to be included on this forum.

Last edited by David McNay on Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:08 am; edited 2 times in total
David McNay
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, the postcards. This first one is of Kirriemuir Memorial, and was posted to Miss MacDougall on 28/7/29. It has the simple message "Kirriemuir. Love, Meg". This makes me think that Miss MacDougall had asked Meg to get her photos and postcards of memorials.

The rest of the postcards are blank on the back:

Inverary

Bearsden

Callander

Milngavie

Glasgow Cenotaph

Next post I'll put up some of the photographs...
Adam Brown
Curator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These photographs will make an excellent addition to the forum. Do you think there was a market for war memorial postcards in the 1920's? Does that mean it's worth trawling through postcard trays in bric-a-brac shops?

Adam
David McNay
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always tend to have a wee browse of postcards when I see a tray of them, you never know.

I'll post some of the photographs tonight.

Last edited by David McNay on Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
David McNay
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First two are of the "Scottish American" memorial in Princes Street Gardens in Edinburgh. These photos are as they were in the album, and as you can see one of them has been rather clumsily cropped.

Note the wreaths at this memorial. These photos would have been taken around 1929-1931 according to the dates on other photos. When was this memorial unveiled?

Last edited by David McNay on Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
David McNay
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next two photos are the only two Scottish memorials which are dated in the album.

The first has written on the back "War Memorial. Muckhart by Dollar, July 1929." Whichever memorial this is, I don't think it is on the forum yet. Can anyone identify it? Also, it may be too dark to make out, but this one also appears to have a number of wreaths or possibly some flowers at the base.

The next photo has written "War Memorial, Rothesay, July 1929". I like this photo for the two women to the left in their 20s clothing. Another one with a wreath at the base. July, possibly for the Somme? It looks like an anchor so perhaps not.

David McNay
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These next photos are all undated, and have nothing written on the back of them. They are also the last Scottish memorials, apart from a selection of photographs which were bought at the National War Memorial in Edinburgh. These are either already on the forum or still in copyright so I won't post them here.

Each memorial is titled as it was in the album.

Oban

Lochawe

Kilmelford (Notice how this one is not propped up as it is now?)

Fort William

Ballachulish

Ardrishaig

And that, as they say, is that, apart from some English memorials. If there's enough interest I'll scan them as well, but I decided initially to leave them as they fall outwith the scope of this forum.

David
David McNay
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I tell a lie. There's two more photographs I can post here.

The first is obviously of Earl Haig, from the Esplanade at Edinburgh Castle:

The second is a mystery one which was loose in the album. Anyone able to identify it? It does look familiar...

Adam Brown
Curator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The second is a mystery one which was loose in the album. Anyone able to identify it? It does look familiar...

Is it Langholm?

Adam
Adam Brown
Curator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam Brown wrote:

Is it Langholm?

Adam

I'll answer my own question- no.

It's not Lockerbie either but the Victory is similar to both memorials.

Adam
Adam Brown
Curator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just bumping this thread back into life. We never did identify the last memorial.

Adam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: