The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project Forum Index The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project
(Registered Scottish Charity No. SC043826). Please visit our homepage at www.scottishmilitaryresearch.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lockerbie Dryfesdale WW1 Roll of Honour

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project Forum Index -> Dumfries & Galloway - Church Memorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spoons

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Lockerbie Dryfesdale WW1 Roll of Honour Reply with quote

Not listed on UKNIWM

The memorial is a book with most entries (if not all) accompanied by photos of the soldiers who died. The book is inside a cabinet which itself is inside the main war memorial shrine in Dryfesdale Parish church. OS Map Ref: NY 137 818.

The kind man with keys to the church was waiting to lock up so I had little time to study the book or take more than a couple of photos but if these are anything to go by, then this is the best ROH I have seen (but I haven't seen that many Embarassed ). I don't know what anyone else thinks about how we should cover this type of memorial, but I think I will try and go back sometime to take a full set of photos to cover the whole book (unless someone beats me to it of course). Any tips on how to go about this would be appreciated - I was thinking of getting a helper to hold the protective sheets vertical so that I can photograph the text and photos clearly in the same shot.

David McNay
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.

I've seen a number of Rolls of Honour, many of them with photographs, but this looks like one of the nicest.

The church may be reluctant to let anyone have a copy of the entire book, but it might be worth asking.

I would suggest that getting good quality photos of the individual photographs in the book, and matching them up with a transcription of the information would be the best way to record it.

Keep us posted on what happens.
dhubthaigh
Our first ever 1000-poster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Shocked
That looks an absolute gem of a find. I'd be delighted seeing something like that.
spoons

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recipe for finding so many unlisted memorials............
1. visit EVERY church (best to arrive at the end of Sunday service)
2. don't believe UKNIWM - the other memorials in this church are listed, but not this one
3. be nosy and poke into odd corners
4. ask if you can speak to the local expert on what is in the church
5. hand over a card with your personal details and a plug to this forum

"there's an old book over in the corner under some papers" is how I found this one, far from obvious

\Spoons
DerekR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Roll is superb, what a gem.

Time but th' impression stronger makes, As streams their channels deeper wear.
stuartn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is now WMR, ex UKNIWM, memorial 63503
stuartn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only concur with Spoon's recipe for finding unlisted memorials, except that I like to try to visit outwith service time (not easy in Scotland where most churches are locked) and to have at least double the time I expect I will need which is why I try to avoid Sundays, when people want to go home)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project Forum Index -> Dumfries & Galloway - Church Memorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: