The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project Forum Index The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project
(Registered Scottish Charity No. SC043826). Please visit our homepage at www.scottishmilitaryresearch.co.uk

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Authuille Church - the HLI memorial

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project Forum Index -> Outside Scotland
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard Bain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Authuille Church - the HLI memorial Reply with quote

The memorial plaque to the 15th, 16th and 17th Bn. HLI is on the front of the church in the village of Authuille on the D151 just behind the Somme front line

Here's a close up

The last line on the small plaque reads "Ici fleurira toujours le glorieux chardon d'Ecosse parmi les coquelicots de France" which basically translates as "The glorious Scottish Thistle will always flower here among the poppies of France" Check out the inscription on the Buzancy Memorial supplied by Malcolm!

Now comes the weird bit!! The photos above were taken in June 2005 and I didn't pay too much attention to the French inscription. From Authille, we went up the hill to Lonsdale Cemy. on the old front line to look for the grave of a New Cumnock boy who served with the 16th (BB) HLI and I took the following photo

It wasn't until I started to prepare photos for this post that I realised what the French inscription was!!

Richard
Kirkcaldy WM
DerekR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time but th' impression stronger makes, As streams their channels deeper wear.
Glesga Keelie

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Authuille Highland Light Infantry Memorial was dedicated at a service in Glasgow Cathedral on Sunday 24th June 1996 before it was taken over to France and unveiled on the eve of the 80th Anniversary of the Somme by the then Deputy Lord Provost of Glasgow Alex Mosson.

The wording for the memorial was taken from the original service by the Very Reverend Herbert Grey held in Glasgow Cathedral in July 1917 in memory of the Fallen of the 17th Highland Light Infantry.

Last edited by Glesga Keelie on Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
anne park
Our first ever 2000 poster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Authuille Church Memorial Seat Reply with quote

I've a couple of photos which you might like. Taken November 2003.
It's Rennie MacIntosh in style in memory of the HLI. Could upload them.
Anne
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Scottish Military Research Group - Commemorations Project Forum Index -> Outside Scotland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: